Sunday, January 3, 2016

Day 4: Using a little math for French Toast


Yes, it is only Day 4 on my blog. Because truthfully, the holidays were so hectic that I didn't have the time to really cook. I was operating on survival mode, mostly-- opening a can of corned beef and mixing it with rice is hardly cooking.

So I decided to start the new year right by making something new for breakfast. Before we left for our out-of-town holiday, I knew we still had bread in our fridge. Upon checking my archive of YUMMY Magazine's old issues (useful articles have been compiled into a clear book for easy reference), it said that bread kept in the fridge can last up to two weeks after its expiry date. Since the expiry was December 28, I figured it was still safe to use to finally try to make one of my favorites in hotel breakfast buffets: French Toast!

I searched for an easy recipe --meaning, not too many ingredients and something simple enough that I can make it whenever I'm craving for it-- and stumbled upon this article on WikiHow. It even gives you two options on how to make French Toast: using your stovetop and using the microwave!

I liked this particular article because unlike others that would have a set list of ingredients that are specific to a serving size then force me to do mental math myself (how do you turn "Serves 4" into "Serves 1"?!), this one gave me ratios instead (here comes the math part!): 1 egg for every two pieces of bread; 2 tablespoons of milk for every egg. And so I wrote on my whiteboard, "2 tbsp milk : 1 egg : 2 bread". My Math teachers would be so proud (haha!).

At first I set out to make two pieces only, hence my single egg:



Then I thought, what the heck, let's live dangerously and make four slices! *Nom nom nom*

I took out my pan and coated it with olive oil, then I set out to mix two eggs, four tablespoons of milk, and some cinnamon in a bowl (went with my gut on how much cinnamon to put, since the article said "to taste"):


A tip from the article said that it's best to use hard breads so that it doesn't turn soggy when you dip it in the mixture. If you're using plain sandwich bread, you can toast it a bit first before coating:


Then came the fun part: dunking it in the mixture!


The article says to toast it for 45 seconds per side, but I like mine really toasted. I burned one as a result, but that's okay. You're not a real chef until you've burned something (haha!).


And voila! French toast for breakfast!


Now that I've devoured my creation, I learned a few things:
- The burnt one actually tasted the best because of the crunch. The pale ones were still a little soggy and eggy. Next time I should probably really toast them in the pan for more than a minute, or take the article's advice and add some sugar on top for a caramelized texture (naks!). Oh, and it needed more cinnamon too!

- I should use a bigger pan so I can cook two slices at a time. By the time I finished cooking the last slice, the first few were already cold and not as yummy. Cooking two slices in one pan means that when I'm not being matakaw and two slices is enough, I can enjoy both immediately!

- I should cook something else to go with it, like hotdogs or something. But I was hungry already, so that's for next time!

Happy New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment